The Chameleon. Lurking in the urban jungle, undetected, unknown, blending into the ever changing landscape, sampling everything from fine dining to reviewing take away joints, this lizard loves food possibly a little bit too much.

DannyBoys Sandwich Bar

Overall score: 77/100

Restaurant:
Website
DannyBoys Sandwich Bar on Urbanspoon

Dannyboys is a hip and funky alternative to Subway tucked away in one of Brisbane's most hip and funky suburbs, Kelvin Grove. The gentrification occurring here is going through like a wrecking ball and Dannyboys is well placed.
At first I was a bit puzzled visiting here. The shop is not in the main shopping area, which doesn't inspire confidence. It's also a bit utilitarian from the front; I kind of had to search for it and I doubt the small A-frame sign at the front would be enough to catch the attention of shoppers just down the road. Regardless, I was glad I found it, and after walking through the doors, the shortcomings of all that hidden facade is all but forgotten. Inside: cool, modern, well designed, completely in sync with its location. The menu looked great, but it was located high, very high in fact, which was an interesting choice. I was greeted by a smiley happy person who put me at easy and while I took a very long time to make my choice, I never felt pressured or like I was an inconvenient annoying wart. A quick notable point were the crates used as stools with a seat pillow as a topper. These are a great up-cycling idea but as I sat there devouring my meal, I noticed it was actually kind of uncomfortable; not uncomfortable like having a haemorrhoid, but more like a slight annoyance to your buttocks.
After what felt like a long time, I ended up with a pumpkin soup entree and a 'Big Bear' (I looooooove sauerkraut). The soup was fine. Tasted like pumpkin soup should, but I have to admit, it was a stock standard soup on this day; no interesting edge, special hit-you-in-the-face spice or herb. The unexpected highlight of my visit was the single piece of accompanying bread roll. This little piece of bread bought back memories of the 'proper bread' I used to devour as an ankle biter; it was light yet crunchy, slightly salty, cooked to perfection and all delicious. A reasonable start.
The sub that followed was a slight disappointment. The bread, for a sub, was overly crunchy for me. It was actually so crunchy (and admittedly probably so fresh out of the oven) it broke through the delicate unaccustomed roof of my mouth. Crunchy bread is fine, but in a thick sub it just didn't work. The ingredients inside were miss-matched. When you see sauerkraut in the ingredients of a sub, you imagine it will have SOME of it in there for a hint of flavour and acidic balance. This sub though was loaded up; now don't get me wrong, I love the stuff almost as much as I love a good game of Origin. In a sub though I am looking for balance, and balance had unfortunately gone for a walk. I couldn't taste the pastrami, the thousand island sauce all but disappeared, which is really saying something, as the main salad ingredient overpowered the dish. All other ingredients disappeared. Did it taste nice? It was kind of OK, but this really was a 'sauerkraut sub'.

You can kind of see what Dannyboys is trying to do; modern, hip, different, the ultimate anti-Subway. It was then such a shame that a good setup became a mediocre meal, with an uneventful pumpkin soup and a tsunami of sauerkraut. The place prides itself on the bread and as well it should, the piece presented with the soup was delightful. In my opinion a slight rethink to restore the balance in their Big Bear sub would fix my visit's low point and perhaps a slightly softer crust on the bread in the sub would have transformed the experience into a memorable fast food alternative. Urbanspoon reviews are very much in the positive so a revisit is definitely on the books. 77/100


No comments:

Post a Comment